Well hello, and happy Sunday to you!
Today, April 12th is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!
I don't know about you – – but to me, grilled cheese is not a quick "throw-together" meal reserved for children. Instead, when this delectable dish is done "right" I would argue that it is the epitome of magnificent mouthwatering marvels in the "comfort food" world.
The challenge is trying to make this "Super Sandwich" into a Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegan delight... Well have no fear, I have a recipe that provides healthy ooey-gooey-goodness, AND tantalizes your tastebuds! Introducing, Vegan Moxarella Grilled Cheese.
Vegan Moxarella Grilled Cheese
- 1 recipe for Ooey-Gooey-Stretchy-Melty Vegan Moxarella (See Below)
- 6 Slices of Vegan-Gluten-Free Bread (Insert Your Favorite Earth-Friendly, Celiac-Friendly Bread Here)
- Vegan Butter (optional)
- Dipping Sauce of Your Choosing (optional)
- Add Ins of Your Choosing: Pickles, Tomatoes, Jams, Chutneys, or other Condiments (optional)
- Butter one side of each slice of bread
- Divide the Ooey-Gooey-Stretchy-Melty Vegan Moxarella evenly among the three sandwiches (placing the butter sides out)
- Cook the sandwiches on medium heat until they are golden brown on the bottom & flip each sandwich to brown the other side.
- Once the sandwich is cooked all the way through, ENJOY!
Are you making Grilled Cheese for A Crowd? If so, try baking your grilled cheese between two baking sheets at 450 degrees for 8 mins. The bread turns out nice and crispy, while the inside becomes that ooey-gooey perfection we all crave!
Ooey-Gooey-Stretchy-Melty Vegan Moxarella
- Boil the water, and pour over cashews in an air-tight container so that they can soak somewhere between four hours & overnight
- Add the cashew/water mix & all other ingredients to a blender or food processor, and mix until a smooth watery consistency is achieved
- Pour the blend into a small sauce pan or frying pan, and heat over medium high heat *Stirring frequently
- While you are stirring, the mix will start to form ooey-gooey balls, and before you know it (after about 5 minutes), it will become a stretchy-melty-cheesy goodness. Once the desired consistency has been achieved, continue to cook and stir for another 2 minutes or so to make sure that it completely firmed up
This cheese is great for quesadillas, pizzas, tortilla chips--or whatever your heart desires! This mouthwatering mixture can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you want to return the refrigerated moxarella back to dipping consistency, simply reheat the mixture over medium heat (stirring so that it does not burn). If the "cheese" becomes too thick, stir in a tablespoon of water at a time until desired consistency is reached.
PS: Interested in other cheese alternatives? If so, check out these Cheesy Tips for Living Dairy Free.